Lesson Plans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 belladonna242

belladonna242

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

I feel that i should be changing the moves for each class, and have them be doing something different. But I always go blank. How can I get lesson plan ideas?
Thanks!

#2 PilatesTCI

PilatesTCI

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

Why the need to change things each class? The Pilates exercises are in a sequence that has been tried and tested over the years. Part of the beauty of the work is the flow from one exercise into the next and the only way to get that flow is to repeat the sequence and get deeper into the exercise. That said you can always add a little variation or something (like a ball between the thighs in 100s, a bar in the hands on roll up, or a theraband for leg circles). But people don't need to be doing lots of new moves all the time until they have the basic core exercises well into their brains and bodies.

#3 reinbeau

reinbeau

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

Mat class? Reformer class? Define class.

If I'm teaching a mat class, I stick to the order and add in or delete exercises depending upon the experience of the participants. But I've always got the order to fall back on.
- Ann, Peak Pilates Certified Classical Instructor, student forever!

#4 pilatesmum

pilatesmum

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

I think sticking to the order of the exercises is the best idea. Having said that not all certifications stipulate that you
MUST know them in any order so it leaves you wondering "what to do next". Perhaps if you put your exercises in order
and then have the options written down to add a ring or ball you can change out the lesson now and then.

Do you have exercise plans that you can refer to?
www.pilates-exercise-for-health.com

#5 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:45 AM

I think you should always stick with the classical order as your chief frame of reference. But you can vary things by doing the mat with the magic circle or holding dumbbells, for instance. You can also add supplementary exercises like Reformer on the mat (most are very difficult, though)

Tom Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users