Photo

Searching For The Right Place To Get Certified!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fitnessislife

fitnessislife

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to get Pilates certified. I would like to start out with just a basic mat certification. I live in San Diego and want to get certified as soon as possible. Does anyone know of any PMA schools teaching a class soon? I also can't attend classes on Saturdays, which is making things more difficult. Does anyone have recommendations for which school I should choose?  I am a kind of a beginner to this so any advice will help! 

#2 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Some major certification organizations make the mat certification a prerequisite for comprehensive certification. Power Pilates, for instance, teaches mat certification over the course of two weekends. 

I know you said Saturdays are out for you, so that is probably going to be a problem.

You may find other options with easier attendance, but compare the substance of programs. You want more than a piece of paper saying you're certified.

Tom Floyd

#3 Pilatesgratz

Pilatesgratz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

PMA is the best certification?

#4 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

PMA offers just a test, not a certification program. 

Tom Floyd

#5 Pilatesgratz

Pilatesgratz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

That makes sense, and how does one get certification? Is there a requirement to do the PMA? Or can one train at a local studio and then take the PMA test?

#6 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:23 AM

This issue is controversial, and I hope others will add to my response.

First, whether or not having a PMA certificate is a "requirement" depends on who you plan to work for. You may or may not find it a condition to being hired. If you are (or plan to be) an independent trainer, then see whether your competition boasts PMA certification.

According to the PMA's certification overview page, to take the exam you have to "Provide verification of Pilates teacher-training proficiency using as a basis, 450 hours of training on all apparatus and all levels of mat." So, that basically means you have to go through a standard comprehensive Pilates certification program to be eligible to take the exam. 

... which of course begs the question as to whether the PMA certificate is really necessary. Unless and until the PMA manages to make obtaining its certificate legally mandatory for Pilates trainers, doing so is fully up to you. 

Here's an objective article on certification basics.

Ultimately, your own training philosophy (classical, modern, eclectic, etc.) should determine which teacher training organization you choose.

Tom Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users