• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 G27MD

G27MD

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:22 PM

First of all I want to express my appreciation for this wonderful article. I've read and reread it over the weeks since it was posted and learned or understood something new with each reading. Thanks to Tom for bringing us this conversation and thanks to Dr. Fiasca for joining us and for allowing us into his thoughts and observations about Pilates. My words can not express how much I've enjoyed and appreciated this article. I'm sure I will read it many more times and I will share it with everyone I know in the Pilates world.

It occurs to me that Dr. Fiasca is in a somewhat unique position in that he is both a Pilates professional and a
mental health professional. Dr. Fiasca, I would love to hear more about how you see Pilates as it relates to the non-physical or mental or spiritual development of those who practice it. It seems to me that there is frequent mention of the beneficial aspects of Pilates in these areas, yet these are areas which are mentioned almost in passing, getting very little attention in the Pilates books I've read and in the part of the Pilates world with which I'm acquainted.

Thank you for any thoughts or observations which you may be willing to share.

Jim Wallace

#2 grovesy

grovesy

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

From personal experience as one who suffers perodically with depression, I found that my last bout nearly 2 years ago, was more quickly resolved than previous bouts. I bleive it was partly due to my practicing PIlates throughout the bout. Previously I found it difficult to do any exercise.

#3 pfiasca

pfiasca

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

Hello Jim,

I'm very grateful you found the online interview informative and enjoyable. It's always a pleasure and a privilege to share insights about the Pilates method. Of course, I look forward to some of your thoughts about Mr. Pilates' brilliant creation.

Your question about mental and spiritual aspects of Pilates has profound implications, and I feel it would be insufficient to write a short reply. These subjects deserve more attention. Coincidentally, I've been working on an essay which illumines a few issues related to mental and spiritual aspects of Pilates. Although these issues are worthy of writing an entire book, it's sometimes interesting to explore certain ideas within a 10-15 page essay.

In a few days I'll submit my thoughts to Tom. Like you, I want to extend many thanks to Tom for creating a dynamic online learning environment for us all to share ideas about the Pilates method.

Sincerely,

Peter Fiasca

#4 G27MD

G27MD

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

Thank you, sir. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and observations on this matter and am very glad to know that you consider it to be of book length importance.

Jim

#5 pfiasca

pfiasca

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:39 PM

Greetings Jim,

Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner, or posting the essay I mentioned. The more I consider mental and spiritual aspects of Pilates, the more involved these issues become. It seems preferable to develop these ideas more fully before submitting an essay to Tom for review in near future. I hope this isn't an inconvenience. Will look forward to more communication at Pilates Connections.

All the best,

Peter

#6 bokfukata

bokfukata

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

I hate to boil down the "mental/spiritual" aspects of Pilates to a platitude, but sometimes I find that it's a stress-releaser. I have a stressful job. Let's just call it social work for all intents and purposes. Today was a particularly hard day, faced with cases to which there seem to be no solutions. My body was completely tight and I felt fatigued. Came home and thought all I could do was have a glass of wine and settle in for the evening. I reluctantly went out to the garage and made myself do a a matwork routine (mat seems much less complicated than dealing with springs and such). After the Hundred, I thought I'd stop but kept going. Then, before I knew it, I had completed the whole routine. I felt great!! Went back inside and with my my renewed energy and a more positive frame of mind, I did some things around the house. That routine really made my day.

Often, as my body melts into the Pilates routines, I find that I'm more alert and relieved from the pressures of job, home, and life in general. Perhaps that's the same with all physical exercise, but I think that the flow and concentration required in Pilates make it unique, much like what my acquaintances who do yoga say.

#7 J.Spencer

J.Spencer

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

Did Peter ever finish that essay or did he consider it far too big a topic to post on this board?

I would be fascinated to hear his thoughts on the mental and spiritual aspects of Pilates.

#8 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:12 AM

My guess is that he is preparing his own publication or presentation. Since Peter has a Ph.D in psychology, he is uniquely qualified to do so.

Tom Floyd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users