how long to fix kyphosis/lordosis?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mm

mm

• StudioBasic
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:35 AM

hello everyobody. in your experience, how long does it take on average to fix a kyphotic/lordotic spine (say by training two to 3 times a week)? and in fact, can it really get fixed altogether, or does it just "get better". i am doing my matwork certification, so have no "past" experience. thanks in advance for sharing some of yours!

mm

#2 reinbeau

reinbeau

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

You too, huh? :D I've been practicing for six years now, and it's definitely better - I no longer sit humped and slumped :P Once I got the point of 'shoulders back and down' my neck stopped hurting - it's hard when you're head-forward all the time, the strain on your neck is incredible! My shoulders are no longer rounded forward, I'm still tight through the chest, though, and I can easily slip into a bit of a hump, but I'm so aware of it now I correct myself with little thought.

The lumbar spine still has quite a lordotic curve in it, but I can melt my lower ribs onto the floor finally. The pain I suffered from in my lower lumbar region is gone, too. I practive two to four times a week, depending on class availability and my schedule. It's a developing thing, I figure it took 43 years to get as bad as it did, so six years and counting, but it's such an enjoyable thing to me now I can't imagine I'll ever stop.

I am a Pilates evangelist now, it's done wonders for my back!
- Ann, Peak Pilates Certified Classical Instructor, student forever!

#3 mm

mm

• StudioBasic
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:26 AM

ann, thanks so much for the encouraging and useful reply. i could have written exactly the same thing, except that i have not practised for 6 years yet and i still have difficulties with my ribcage and my low back still gives me a bit of trouble! i started training intensely since giving birth and now it has been 5 months. i can feel the improvements in my back, however, i have a VERY LONG road to go. however, i am determined to keep working at it. plus like yourself and many others on this forum, i actually enjoy it so much... i was also curious to know of other practioners' experience, since as a personal trainer, i see so many clients with the same problems, and am looking forward to being fully certified so as to be able to help them properly.

#4 gaile

gaile

• Moderators
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:38 PM

hi mm I wonder if this is a girl thing.I definately got this posture after pregnancy and like Anne I would say that now in my sixth year I can finally articulate each bone off the mat and someone actually told me my back was quite flat the other day which I never thought Id hear.hang in there it definately does improve but like ann said it takes xx years to get your body so expect xx years to improve.

#5 mm

mm

• StudioBasic
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:33 AM

gaile, thanks so much for your comments. i would agree with you that pregnancy definitely worsens postural problems in women. mine were bad before (and years of fitness unfortunately did not help me much), but since giving birth i can't even lie prone in bed that my low back hurts. anyways, i will keep working at it - yours and Ann's experiences are definitely encouraging.

#6 G27MD

G27MD

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:00 AM

You might consider trying the World's Smallest Barrels (the Miracle Ball Method). The balls have really helped me with some of my chronic challenges.

Jim

#7 mm

mm

• StudioBasic
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:08 AM

Jim, thanks. I read previous posts about these Miracle Balls, and have ordered them already. Looking forward to trying them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users