How Often Do You Practice?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JackieCat

JackieCat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

The "Things to Work On" thread prompted another question for me, which is how often do you practice pilates? Do you find it a challenge to fit in time for your own pilates workout? How do you manage to do so?

I have a standing weekly appointment with a more experienced instructor once a week- we do a private and then I take his semi-private (there are 4 of us) class. I like to do 2 hours because I have to travel about an hour to get there (he's in NYC; I'm in suburbs in NJ). I would love to go 2x/week but it just isn't feasible with the rest of my schedule- I teach 12 classes/week (pilates plus two other formats) and am the Group Ex coordinator at 2 gyms (part of a chain).

When I have down time, I find that the last thing I want to do is jump on the reformer (I'm fortunate enough to have one at home) but when I do pilates at least twice a week, I see such a difference.

How about you guys?

#2 SK3000

SK3000

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:43 AM

I try to always pratice about 5 times a week. I pratice for 2 days then rest for a day. Then 3 days of Pilates followed by another days rest. I see an Instructor for 1 of my 5 Pilates workouts per week.

On a weekday I practice in the evenings when I get back from work. After a long day and a long commute home I find doing matwork really revitalizes me and gives me energy. I work on the equipment when I see my instructor but for home practice I'ii usually do equipment work on the weekend or days when I'm not working.

Edited by SK3000, 13 January 2010 - 05:48 AM.

#3 JackieCat

JackieCat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:49 AM

I try to always pratice about 5 times a week. I pratice for 2 days then rest for a day. Then 3 days of Pilates followed by another days rest. I see an Instructor for 1 of my 5 Pilates workouts per week.

On a weekday I practice in the evenings when I get back from work. After a long day and a long commute home I find doing matwork really revitalizes me and gives me energy. I work on the equipment when I see my instructor but for home practice I'ii usually usually do equipment work on the weekend or days when I'm not working.

SK3000, you're so good! I'm jealous :)

Do you do any other types of workouts? If so, how do you add them in?

#4 reinbeau

reinbeau

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

I practice three days a week, Monday is an 'advanced and beyond' group class with two or three other teacher/friends, we've all been working out together for years, the class is lead by our teacher/trainer Pam. Then I have a private on Wednesday, and we get together at another friend/trainer's studio on Thursday. I move plenty on the other days keeping up with what needs to be done around here.
- Ann, Peak Pilates Certified Classical Instructor, student forever!

#5 PilatesHB

PilatesHB

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

I try and practice at least a little 5 times a week. I do an extensive workout two of those days. I tend to focus on the movements that give me trouble...back extension is my weakness.

I also try and take class at least once a month at a studio. I had been going more often but as you would expect, classes conflict with my own schedule.
WWW.AB-Pilates.com

#6 lizzie

lizzie

• Administrators
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

It's a constant struggle. I do an advanced mat class every Saturday if I'm not teaching it, maybe once or twice a week I meet with another teacher or apprentice to work out, and I try to book a lesson every week (I pay for it, but "real" clients still come first, for me and my teacher, so that can be tricky to fit in). Every day I'll do something, either mat at home or a quick leg springs or ladder barrel, but a proper 45-60+ minute workout maybe 3-4 times a week.

I find I do much, much better with external motivation, and I need to book the time in advance to make sure it happens. I don't like working out between clients, so I try to find a slot where I can go home afterwards and change. Keeping extra workout gear at the studio helps, too.

#7 Pilates Core

Pilates Core

• Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

Currently not much since my instructor is on vacation! :( She'll be back soon, though.

#8 SK3000

SK3000

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

SK3000, you're so good! I'm jealous :)

Do you do any other types of workouts? If so, how do you add them in?

lol thanks! it's just a routine that I've gotten used to really. At the moment I only do Pilates. On my rest days I do some Yoga type stretches, sometimes using a foam roller as well. In the summer I like to go jogging on the weekends but not in winter as it's too cold and damp for me. I have been thinking for a while now about adding something like Kettlebells to my routine. If I did I would likely do that on say the 2nd or 3rd day of my Pilates routine then use the rest day to recover.

#9 MathiasBlad

MathiasBlad

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

I try do a full workout at least 3 times a week. If I'm in Stockholm at least one of them is at a Stott studio, either a mat class w/ props, or a semi-private studio workout. I get a private lesson whenever I can afford it.

The rest of my workouts are currently mat workouts at home. And then I try to fit in 15-20 minutes of mat as a warm up before shows.

And nowadays I try to fit in a classical apparatus session at another studio every now and then for variation.

#10 bokfukata

bokfukata

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

My goal is to do something everyday, even if it's just a little bit. Yesterday I played with the Kettlebells and for Pilates, I just did basic Mat. Today, I'm too tired after work and have lots of paperwork to do, plus dinner, plus taking out the garbage, plus my cat threw up all over the house so I have to clean that, plus this and that and this and that! Oh yeah, gotta spend time with partner -- can't forget about that. Yikes -- I can really see how working out can get put on the back burner.

But I do take a private lesson once a week and that's tomorrow and I'm sooooo looking forward to it. It's one of the highlights of my week.

#11 banana

banana

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Jackicat,
My situation practically mirrors yours. I'd love to do some group mat classes but they're on when I'm teaching others. I have one studio session a week and have to travel 1/2 hour each way to get to it (from home), then 1/2 an hour to get back to work.
Apart from the workouts I get when I'm teaching classes, I do my own mat at home most days - usually 20-30 minutes. On a good day I'll do a reformer session as well.
I don't know how you manage to co-ordinate the group ex for 2 gyms - I'm tearing my hair out doing just one! :rolleyes:

#12 LAville

LAville

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

Coming froma gym background as director of group fitness for 30 years, exercise as been part of my life and my occupation but since transitioning to Pilates I really enjoy working out a lot more. I remember many times after teaching my own 2 classes i was forced to teach maybe two more classes because the instructor could not find a sub. That was a drag and one of the reasons I started PIlates at age 50, ( I am 62 now) that level of chronic exercise was killing my joints.

NOw I still, try to do something everyday, but it makes a big difference because I only work out for an hour.

.I have a trainer and do traditional weight workout 2x per week. I also do cardio everyday. I do Pilates at least 3x per week, mostly on my own, but sometimes I hop into a class at the gym where I run the studio if there is a reformer open. I always get a better workout when I workout with someone else. I find that my own workouts tend to be a little perfunctory, and (when I am at my own studio, I have to stop to answer the phone or someone will come in for information and that seemsto happen as soon as I get on the reformer.) I have a very advanced client who likes me to workout with her, and that's always fun and challenging.

Edited by LAville, 14 January 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#13 throwtoy

throwtoy

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

i'm so jealous so many of you get to DO pilates so often. i'm lucky to get my own practice in a couple times a month. I need to get back to it, between sitting in an office all day then the car quick mean and then teaching doesn;t leave me the time i'd like :( Double leg stretch and side kick series suck in an office where you will bang your hands and feet on a desk and the bookcase :) i need a bigger office. ha!

#14 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

I do Pilates almost every day, though not always a "complete" workout. Some days, when crunched for time, it's mat on the Wunda Chair and then side situps on the Ladder Barrel. Or maybe a series on the Spine Corrector. Takes less than 10 minutes, but most of the body gets hit. I try for a full Reformer workout a couple times a week.

Yesterday, I tested my elbows and subacromial bursitis with the Kettlebells and other stuff. I can swing now pain free! Did 20 swings with a 16kg bell and forced myself to stop. Would have loved to do a 100 or so, but after such a long layoff I knew I would be hurting the next day. Sure enough, those 20 swings made me pleasantly sore in the whole posterior chain.

Can't yet do a Getup pain free. Extending the arm overhead aggravates the bursitis. I think I'm 95% there, though. Another month, probably. I did hanging pullups, no problem, but vertical pullups aggravated the bursistis - not from the pulling but from the hanging with straight arms overhead.

Pushups, too! Tested myself on the Pushup handles. Did 10, no problem. Then I hung 2 chains from my pullup bar (the customization Edgar built into my Tower) and then attached handles to the chains, suspended 2 inches above the floor. Managed 3 pushups on those handles. Did 3 sets of 3. Try it! Whole body works like crazy to stabilize.

Tom Floyd

#15 Vivian

Vivian

Contributing Member

• StudioPlatinum
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

I'm at 2x/wk (really bad). Hoping to bring it up to at least 3x/wk.
But i always make each session worth.

#16 taowave

taowave

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hi Tom,
I dont know if this will help you or not,but I find it much gentler on my elbow joint when I do chins off the rings as opposed to the bar.I have found that my arms rotate naturaly with the freedom of the ring hanging from the bar.Its much more of a natural movement as opposed to having the joints locked into a position on the traditional pullup.Not saying it will cure your elbow,but I think you will find it a bit more forgiving on the joint.I also do very light curls before getting on the rings and pulling up.Good luck!!

T

I do Pilates almost every day, though not always a "complete" workout. Some days, when crunched for time, it's mat on the Wunda Chair and then side situps on the Ladder Barrel. Or maybe a series on the Spine Corrector. Takes less than 10 minutes, but most of the body gets hit. I try for a full Reformer workout a couple times a week.

Yesterday, I tested my elbows and subacromial bursitis with the Kettlebells and other stuff. I can swing now pain free! Did 20 swings with a 16kg bell and forced myself to stop. Would have loved to do a 100 or so, but after such a long layoff I knew I would be hurting the next day. Sure enough, those 20 swings made me pleasantly sore in the whole posterior chain.

Can't yet do a Getup pain free. Extending the arm overhead aggravates the bursitis. I think I'm 95% there, though. Another month, probably. I did hanging pullups, no problem, but vertical pullups aggravated the bursistis - not from the pulling but from the hanging with straight arms overhead.

Pushups, too! Tested myself on the Pushup handles. Did 10, no problem. Then I hung 2 chains from my pullup bar (the customization Edgar built into my Tower) and then attached handles to the chains, suspended 2 inches above the floor. Managed 3 pushups on those handles. Did 3 sets of 3. Try it! Whole body works like crazy to stabilize.

#17 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hi Taowave,

Thanks for the tips! Actually, I didn't mention the fact I did my pullups from Reformer handles suspended from the bar by a short strap. So, that pretty much provides the same effect as using rings. Yes, my arms naturally rotated.

The other thing I didn't mention is that I used a Wunda Chair as an assist. I placed the pedal under the handles, stepped on top of the chair, grabbed the handles, and stepped on the pedal. Bend the legs to straighten the arms, then straighten the legs as arms do the pullup. I needed the assist since I had not done a pullup in more than two years.

I never felt it in the elbow. Straight arms overhead still aggravate the subacromial bursitis. My fault for trying to show off last summer...

Today I did 40 non-stop kettlebell swings, then supersetted three sets of chain-suspended pushups with hanging pullups. Then I did a short Pilates routine.

Tom Floyd

#18 LAville

LAville

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:34 AM

I just did kettlebells for the first time a few week ago and I am hooked!!
I got some for my studio and added kettlebell intervals between exercises on the reformer in one of my advanced classes and everyone really enjoys the change. ! I am using 15lbs for myself, but have my clients start lighter. I know this may have wandered off topic a bit..and there was a kettlebell thread started last year I think.. BUt anyhoo I love those darn things.

#19 PilatesHB

PilatesHB

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

My goal is to do something everyday, even if it's just a little bit. Yesterday I played with the Kettlebells and for Pilates, I just did basic Mat. Today, I'm too tired after work and have lots of paperwork to do, plus dinner, plus taking out the garbage, plus my cat threw up all over the house so I have to clean that, plus this and that and this and that! Oh yeah, gotta spend time with partner -- can't forget about that.

Your life sounds a bit like mine only it's dog throw up I have to clean.
WWW.AB-Pilates.com

#20 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

I split the Kettlebell discussion off into the Kettlebell Training area.

Tom Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users