Basic Reformer Manual

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Kitty

Kitty

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Thank you for creating and posting the manual Tom.  I am finding it helpful as somebody who is new to Pilates.  I plan to read the entire contents this weekend to prepare for my first private lesson on Monday.

#22 nikki6311

nikki6311

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

hi i just started reading and on page 7 I think there might be a spelling mistake, or did you mean to write- on the chart by the footwork that the handles are on the hocks not the hooks?
just a small something

it looks really nice so far of what I've read.
nikki

#23 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:23 AM

Nikki,

Different manufacturers have somewhat differing terminology. At the time I wrote the manual, I was only familiar with the Peak line of equipment. I was taught to refer to those vertical metal pegs behind the shoulder blocks as "hocks." For some exercises, they are used for handles for the hands (Corkscrew and Mermaid, for instance), and as a place to hang the handles of the straps. So, yes, for the footwork, the straps are "hooked" on the hocks.

Tom

Tom Floyd

#24 reinbeau

reinbeau

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hmmmm......I'm Peak trained, work on Peak equipment all the time, and we call them pegs. Never heard the term 'hocks'.
- Ann, Peak Pilates Certified Classical Instructor, student forever!

#25 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

My bad, probably. That's what we called them in my first certifying studio.

Tom Floyd

#26 scpilates08

scpilates08

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Love It!!!! You thinking of writing anymore???

#27 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

Oh, thanks for the kind words, but but right now my plate is too full! I hope to resume writing soon.

Tom

Tom Floyd

#28 hk16

hk16

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:35 AM

I just purchased a used Allegro reformer yesterday and it came without the manual or DVD. This manual is much needed for people like me. I intend to print it out and read it today. I looked through it and it appears to be well thought out and easy to understand. Thanks for doing this!

Thank you
Kelly

#29 Susan Campbell

Susan Campbell

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hi Tom,

I think your manual looks really great. I haven't had enough time to read the entire thing, but I especially like how you have broken down the categories into "essential ingredients, tips, pitfalls and transitions." So often transitions are overlooked, but I think they are an important part of Pilates so thanks for including them. I have been teaching for about 5 years and am a Second Generation teacher. I let you know if I find any typos and thanks for putting this manual out - I wish you a lot of success with it. Also, I've never heard the term "hocks" either - but I have heard "pegs" or "posts".

Susan Campbell

#30 Spain

Spain

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hi Tom, and all

Congratulations for your big project!
If you ever need someone to translate it into Spanish, do let me know.
I have had the opportunity to translate some of Rael's or Ellie Hermanns books.
Would love to translate yours as well :-))

All best luck for intrepid Pilates enthusiasts!!

#31 PILATES AFRICA

PILATES AFRICA

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

I enjoyed your manual. Great to have another resource. I havent put the tree into my classes for ages.. Guess what a lot of my clients will be doing next week :) As for comments on improvement... for publication (as stated above) I would get a professional photographer in. Otherwise thank you for using us for feedback.
PILATES AFRICA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users