Basic Reformer Manual

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

Here is a draft of the Basic Reformer manual I've been working on.

Basic Reformer Manual

I would love to get feedback - especially constructive criticism. Feel free to comment about content, presentation, or organization. I look forward to your comments!

Tom

#2 gaile

gaile

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hi Tom Well done for getting cracking,I am in the process of printing it out now so will put it together and use it in the morning for my workout and see how it goes and then let you know.From a first quick look if I were a new person I think I would appreciate some more detailed photos to reassure me that the postion I had adopted was correct maybe some views from footbar or straps might be useful

#3 bokfukata

bokfukata

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

It looks terrific so far! I've not read it in great detail yet but from what I see, it is very clear and easy to understand. I really like the "Pitfalls" section.

I'll say more once I've read it more thoroughly.

Thanks for writing this.

#4 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words. The manual is, of course, a work in progress, and I will value all the constructive criticism I can get.

I have just replaced the file with an updated/corrected copy:

www.pilatesconnections.com/downloads/basic_reformer.zip

Feel free to replace your first download with this new one.

Change Log:
Corrected various typos
Minor edits for clarity
Cropped a couple pictures for close-up view
Added a copyright page
Added a table of contents

Tom

#5 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

I replaced the file once again! :oops: I added an important disclaimer on the copyright page...

Tom

#6 bokfukata

bokfukata

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

I've looked at it a bit more. Some thoughts:

On page 13 (Basic Reformer Progression), it might be helpful to have all the information there so it could be used as a guide when working out. You have the exercise, the repetitions, and the # of springs but I think it would be good to have whether the footbar and headrest should be up or down. When I was learning the reformer, I made my own "cheat sheet" with all this information on it because I found all the details hard to remember.

Perhaps a note about more/fewer springs for each exercise. For example, doing Elephant on fewer springs makes it more difficult. That might be too much info for a beginner's manual but just a thought.

You know how in Brooke Siler's book, there's a section for each exercise labeled "Progressions" that tells you how to intensify the exercise? Have you thought about doing something like that. I notice that you do provide this information for some exercises ("the hundred") but not all.

Overall, I find that it's fabulous. I especially like the

#7 bokfukata

bokfukata

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:34 PM

Oops! I accidentally sent the message before I'd finished.

Anyway, I think the manual looks terrific. I especially liked the explanation of the "Elephant", telling us to lift up in the rounded low back, not the hips. My teacher tells me that all the time and I think that's what makes the exercise such a good one. Also, "Running" is explained very well -- pelvic stability. Without this bit of info, it can look like a very easy exercise.

I'm glad that you've included the "Purpose" and "Essential ingredient" sections. When I was first learning, I was constantly asking my teacher, "what's this exercise doing?"

One last thing, when's the chair manual coming out?!!?

#8 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

Thanks bokfukata,

I filled out the equipment setup page as you suggested. Good idea.

As for progressing the exercises, I'll do that as I add the Intermediate progression and exercises (don't hold your breath, though)...

Download the updated version here:

As to the Chair manual, we'll see.... we'll see...

Tom

#9 G27MD

G27MD

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:55 AM

And the Barrels.

Jim

#10 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:31 AM

Yikes, but you're loading my plate! Let's get the bugs out of this one first. Then I can probably do some others a bit more quickly.

My goal is to make the manuals publication-quality, so I can't be in a huge hurry. I would like to eventually sell them. Consider yourselves "beta testers."

If anyone can advise me as to how to take flash pictures without casting a shadow against the wall - that would be a great help. I'm using the Canon digital Rebel SLR with the built-in flash. Maybe with an external flash, I could bounce the flash off the ceiling and soften the shadows. I just would like to avoid another expense, if possible.

Tom

#11 G27MD

G27MD

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:04 AM

Tom,

I'm no expert on photography, but all the professional photo shoots seem to use multiple light sources. The basic physics of light and shadows would seem to dictate that this is the only method which will (mostly) elliminate shadows.

I hope someone else is actually an expert and can provide an expert's answer. I'm also sure there are forums, camera shops, etc. with expertise.

My wife, the artist, might say the shadows can be part of the art, but my wife, the photo bug, would disagree and go for the external light sources.

I've spent more time that I might like in professional photo studios and they have tons of lights.

Jim

#12 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Jim,

Ain't it funny that some of the manuals available online claim to have "professional-quality" photos, but when you examine the sample pages, there are huge shadows and other flaws.

I don't think this manual requires "professional-quality" photos, just decent, clear shots without obvious flaws.

I'll keep experimenting, as well as visiting the local camera store to see if there are economical options.

Tom

#13 osje

osje

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thanks Jim,
Ain't it funny that some of the manuals available online claim to have "professional-quality" photos, but when you examine the sample pages, there are huge shadows and other flaws.
I don't think this manual requires "professional-quality" photos, just decent, clear shots without obvious flaws.
I'll keep experimenting, as well as visiting the local camera store to see if there are economical options.
Tom

Hello! Tom, maybe you don't remember me but,... I'm the person that one day I ask you about : what was the purpose of each apparatus in the Pilates system. From that time to now has pass more than 3 years. After been teaching for almost 3 years I still thinking that because of you and the people around you. pilates has been more teachable. Thank you for be like that , I hope we can meet one day in person. If some day you came to new york, let me know. Jose A. Ruiz

#14 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Jose,

Thanks for the kind words, and for sure I remember you! I hope I can get to NYC: the Mecca of Pilates practitioners!

Tom

Tom Floyd

#15 sami

sami

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the kind words. The manual is, of course, a work in progress, and I will value all the constructive criticism I can get.

Is this work in progress completed? and is it still available to read??

#16 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:43 AM

Hi Sami,

Just click the following link:

Basic Reformer Manaual

Yesterday I discovered that it was a dead link, due to my recent move to a different web host. All is fixed now!

Tom

Tom Floyd

#17 sami

sami

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:48 PM

[quote]name='tfloyd' date='Jul 18 2006, 09:43 PM' post='3107'
Hi Sami,

Just click the following link:

Basic Reformer Manaual

Yesterday I discovered that it was a dead link, due to my recent move to a different web host. All is fixed now!

Tom[/quote]

Tom I still cant accessfrom the link, get this message "can't find the server at www.pilatesconnections.com."

#18 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

I don't know why it wasn't working for you. It downloaded fine for me. Please try again.

Tom Floyd

#19 sami

sami

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

Don't know what happened yesterday works today.Thanks

#20 melissa

melissa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:23 PM