Rods in back

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jeansyoga

jeansyoga

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:35 AM

I'm a beginning Pilates teacher (though I have been teaching yoga for a while), and last night after class a student came up to me and said "Sorry I couldn't do some of the exercises, I have a couple of steel rods in my back." Yikes!!!!

I'd probably be able to modify a lot of yoga poses for her, but I don't know enough about Pilates yet to be able to modify to that extent. We don't have any equipment (i.e. Reformers) at this gym, so all we offer are Basic Mat classes.

Is it even possible to modify the Pilates exercises for her? So many rely on the C-curve of the spine (especially rolling). Should she just avoid Pilates all together?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Tom Floyd

Tom Floyd

• Administrators
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:59 AM

Hi Jeansyoga,

Do the rods extend through the whole spine to correct scoliosis? If so, spinal artculation would be impossible. I would definitely avoid the rolling exercises.

Not every Pilates exercise requires articulation: the hundred, single leg circles, stomach series, to name a few.

An attempt to do the rollup would require a hinge out of the hips or waist, rather than rolling through the spine. I'd like to hear from others as to the advisability of doing that.

Tom

#3 Carol

Carol

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Jeans yoga,

I am a Pilates instructor with rods in my spine from T4-L2. I was a pilates client for 10 years before I becamean instructor. I am Stott trained. If you have any specific questions, I am sure can answer them for you.

Carol

#4 Pilates Core

Pilates Core

• Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

I would probably tell that student that I was not comfortable teaching her in a group class format, for starters.

I would also make sure I ask students in the beginning of class to let me know about any injuries, surgeries or conditions.

Carol - Yay! Nice to see another Stott instructor on here :)

#5 danaspilates

danaspilates

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:57 PM

Hi Jeansyoga,
even if the client does not have her entire spine fused, even if she has one rod (and she did say rods) group mat Pilates are not the venue for this individual.
people who undergo spine fusion are suseptible to transitional zone syndrome:

"Transition zone syndrome has come to imply the radiographic and clinically significant symptoms of premature degeneration of a mobile segment adjacent to a fusion."

simply put, since certain spine segments are fused, the segments above and below the fusion become hypermobile by default, which can cause further spine degeneration, this sometimes leads to further spine fusion surgeries.
the client will usually experienced no pain associated with this condition, until it is too late, and the segment is deteriorated.

spine articulation exercises are not ideal, stabilization becomes more of a focus.
i do have one client with both cervical and lumbar fusions, i try to focus on thoracic mobility.
with multiple rods, a roll up is not a very good exercise, definately no rolling, etc.

yep a Private apparatus class is probably best :)
and i would contact carole if i were you.

p.s. carole, i would LOVE to hear your input, personal experience, and how you train yourself.
thanks
Dana :)
intelligent movement profound results
www.carefreepilates.com

#6 PilatesTCI

PilatesTCI

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

I agree! Group mat class is NOT for people with spinal surgeries, harrington rods, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users