Carpal tunnel syndrome

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lizzie

lizzie

• Administrators
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

I have a newish client who has just been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, for which he will be having surgery. He's in a wrist brace at the moment but says he can do anything that's possible to do in the brace.

My thoughts are to work on his neck and head and shoulder alignment (he also has a largely unhealed rotator cuff injury), and have him do some front supports on his forearms as long as he can stay open enough in the shoulders. We have plenty to work on with the rest of his body and all the apparatus, so I don't want to dwell on his arms and shoulders too much.

Any suggestions?

#2 PilatesTCI

PilatesTCI

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:26 AM

Good intuition Lizzie! Just keep him off of his wrists. Just doing what you have listed will give you plenty to do.

#3 judyC.

judyC.

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Good intuition Lizzie! Just keep him off of his wrists. Just doing what you have listed will give you plenty to do.

Sooo Lynda, what do you suggest for the arm work with carpel tunnel, hand straps seem to add to the uncomfortableness (is that a word?) how about light free weights for the arm work?

#4 Pilates Core

Pilates Core

• Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

Have him loop the hand straps around his wrists maybe? I'm not sure what your reformer straps are like so I don't know if that's a possibility. It won't work for all the exercises, but he could do some of them that way.

#5 LAville

LAville

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:13 AM

. If you own the studio, you might invest in a pair of the straps used on the Gyrotonic machine. They are a double loop and fit over the hand around the thumb and index finger and around the wrist( kind of like a mitten) so that there is no hand gripping, the arm simply moves from the shoulder. I also use them on the legs and they release the grip from the feet so that you can point and flex during exercises and feel the exercise differently.

I think straps like that are available through BB. I got mine from the Gyro instructor who rented space in my studio.

#6 PilatesTCI

PilatesTCI

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Balanced Body sells velcro-adjusting wrist and ankle straps which help. This way there is no slippage and the strap isn't affecting the wrist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users